Learn how to use Zoom's built-in live transcription tool to add real-time subtitles to transcriptions to your Zoom Meeting or Webinar.
Enabling/Disabling Live Transcription in User Settings
- Log in to Zoom Web interface by going to http://ucsb.zoom.us/signin.
- Navigate to Settings > Meeting > In Meeting (Advanced).
- Scroll down to Closed captioning.
- Enable Closed captioning by clicking the toggle button so it shows blue.
- A new message box displays, click the Turn On blue button.
- Check the box next to Enable live transcription service to show transcript on the side panel in-meeting.
- Click the Save blue button.
- Note: To Disable Closed captioning, click the toggle again until it is marked, Gray.
- To save a copy of the transcript as the host (without recording the session), or as a participant enable Save Captions.
- Note: If this setting is enabled, participants will also have the ability to save a copy of the transcript. This setting enables the saving functionality for both the host and participants.
Live captioning within Zoom Meetings and Webinars come in two options:
- Subtitles: text that appears at the bottom of the Zoom window called captions.
- Live Transcript: full meeting audio converted to transcripts in real-time. These are time-stamped and tagged with who was speaking.
Note: Only the host of a meeting can initiate live transcriptions. If you are scheduling a meeting that you will not be present for, you should designate an "alternative host" when creating the meeting. The "alternative host" will become the "host" if you are not in the meeting and be able to initiate live captioning. Instructions on "alternative hosts" can be found in this Zoom article.
The Live transcription feature has been confirmed to work with the following Zoom clients:
- Zoom Desktop Applications for Windows and macOS
- Zoom Mobile Applications for iOS and Android
- Note: Live transcriptions cannot be accessed using any web client (browser)
Enabling within Zoom Meeting using the Zoom Desktop application
- Click the Live Transcript button at the bottom of your Zoom meeting window
- Select Enable Auto-Transcription.
Note: To disable auto-transcription, click the Live Transcript button once again, and select, Disable Auto-Transcription.
For additional support; contact your departmental IT support group, ithelp.ucsb.edu or call (805) 893-5000 (x5000).