Beginning Monday, November 30, 2020, Google Chat must be used for direct messages (DMs), group messages, and team discussions as Google will deprecate Classic Hangouts.
How can you/your department prepare for the transition?
- Explore the new Web experience at chat.google.com.
- Download the Google Chat mobile app for Android or iOS.
- Remove the Classic Hangouts mobile app from your smartphone.
- Recreate any group messages as Rooms in the Hangouts Chat interface.
Where can you find your old chats?
- If you turned History on while using Hangouts, you can see all your direct messages in Chat. If you turned your History off while using Hangouts, you can only see direct messages from the previous 24 hours.
- You can access all previous Classic Hangouts conversation history in Gmail.
How can you get help?
- Review the Reference Guide provided by the ETS Messaging and Collaboration team.
- Watch this short video that explains the new Hangouts Chat.
- The G Suite Learning Center for more information about the new Hangouts Chat.
- The G Suite Chat room to help with Q&A.
- Visit the Connect G Suite for Education page at it.ucsb.edu.
- Submit a ticket to ithelp.ucsb.edu or call x5000.
For questions about the transition from Classic Hangouts to Hangouts Chat, please contact the IT Services Catalog or call x5000.