Beginning Monday, November 30, 2020, UCSB will rely on Google Chat for direct messages (DMs), group messages, and team discussions. Employees can access Google Chat directly from your Gmail inbox beginning November 30. You don’t have to open a separate browser window to monitor Google Chat.
How can departments prepare for the transition?
- Explore the new Web experience at chat.google.com.
- Download the Google Chat mobile app for Android or iOS.
- Remove the Hangouts mobile app from your smartphone.
- Recreate any group messages as Rooms in Google Chat.
Where can employees find their old chats?
- If an employee turned History on while using Hangouts, they can see all your direct messages in Chat. If an employee turned their History off while using Hangouts, they can only see direct messages from the previous 24 hours.
- Employees can access previous Hangouts conversation history in Gmail.
- History is not available for group Hangouts. Employees will not be able to see Hangouts group members after November 30.
How can employees get help?
- Review the Reference Guide provided by the ETS Messaging and Collaboration team.
- Watch this short video that explains the new Google Chat.
- Visit the G Suite Learning Center for more information about Google Chat.
- Visit the G Suite Chat room to help with Q&A.
- Review the Connect G Suite for Education page at it.ucsb.edu.
- Call (805) 893-5000 (x5000) or submit a ticket to ithelp.ucsb.edu by selecting Messaging & Collaboration, then Web Conferencing/IM Services, then Web Conferencing/IM Services Request.