As required by Southern California Edison (SCE) and announced in D-list emails and in information posted at energy.ucsb.edu/planned-power-outage, campus will lose power beginning in the evening on Saturday, September 19, 2020. Power will return the afternoon of Sunday, September 20, 2020.
Here is a short checklist of actions to take before the power goes out to protect data and devices:
- Unless employees have been given explicit permission to do so, they must NOT physically go to campus to power down any computers, printers, or dependent devices.
- If employees currently remote into desktop computers, power them down remotely where possible before 8:30 p.m. Saturday, September 19, to minimize the risk of damage during this electrical maintenance work. Since many people are not working on-campus, department should how to turn back on necessary devices once power is restored on Sunday, September 20.
- Before the power outage, move business-critical documents to cloud storage (e.g., Google Drive, Box), especially if needed during the maintenance period.
- During and after the power outage, visit status.ucsb.edu for updates. Employees might also subscribe to the “Facilities Management Services” updates.
- Review the IT Functionality section of the Planned Power Outage page at energy.ucsb.edu, as it details what services the outage will or could impact.
- Be aware that SCE may occasionally need to shut down power for days or hours to prevent a wildfire. Campus may be affected by these outages, as UCSB is within the SCE-serviceable area. Learn more about SCE’s Public Safety Power Shutoff plan and how to prepare for power outages, in general.
Contact the IT Services Desk for any issues at ithelp.ucsb.edu or (805) 893-5000 (x5000).